Congressman Al Green to Host Candlelight Vigil to Commemorate the Life of Renee Nicole Good, Victim Killed by ICE Agent in Minneapolis

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Al Green (TX-9)

(Houston, TX) —Today, Congressman Al Green will host a candlelight vigil to commemorate the life of Renee Nicole Good, a 37-year-old mother and citizen who was fatally shot by a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent earlier this week in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The candlelight vigil will take place at the Wyndham Hotel Houston near NRG Park (San Jacinto Room 1) at 8686 Kirby Drive, Houston, Texas 77054 at 5:30 p.m. CT. All people of goodwill are invited.

Congressman Al Green stated, “Tonight, we gather with a heavy heart to commemorate the life of Renee Nicole Good, an American citizen, a daughter, mother, community participant, and loved one whose life mattered. Her death is a tragedy and a seminal moment of reckoning for our nation. When government power is exercised without accountability, it puts every American at risk, and we should not live in fear. We must unite across this nation to demand justice for Ms. Good and ensure that no life is ever treated as expendable.”

Click here to watch the Facebook Live Stream of the event.

Members of the press are invited for Q&A and b-roll footage. 

WHO:

WHAT:

Congressman Al Green to Host Candlelight Vigil to Commemorate the Life of Renee Nicole Good 

 

WHERE:

Wyndham Hotel Houston Near NRG Park (San Jacinto Room 1)

8686 Kirby Drive

Houston, Texas 77054

WHEN: 

Sunday, January 11, 2026

5:30 PM CT

(SECURITY WILL BE PROVIDED)

 

 

U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum Calls for Removal or Impeachment of Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congresswoman Betty McCollum (DFL-Minn)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congresswoman Betty McCollum (D, MN-04) announced her support for the removal or impeachment of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kristi Noem.

“Secretary Noem should be fired. If she is not, I support impeachment by the House and conviction by the Senate for her obstruction of Congress and violation of the public trust,” said Congresswoman Betty McCollum (D, MN-04), the Dean of the Minnesota Congressional Delegation.

“Renee Good is remembered by her family and her peers as a compassionate, giving person. I mourn her loss and hope her family, friends, and community may find comfort in her memory,” said Congresswoman McCollum. 

“This past year, Americans in cities across the United States have felt the chaos and terror of Secretary Noem’s Department of Homeland Security and ICE. Secretary Noem has demonstrated that she is unable to enforce immigration law in a peaceful and ethical manner,” said Congresswoman McCollum. “Her deployment of unprofessional, poorly trained, masked immigration agents has put our neighbors in danger of physical harm.” Congresswoman McCollum has repeatedly criticized federal immigration enforcement agents for racially targeting Minnesotans and demanding proof of citizenship based on a person’s race, ethnicity, and speech. 

The officer who killed Renee Good used excessive force,” added Congresswoman McCollum. “Video evidence from multiple sources on the scene show that the officer and his ICE colleagues were not in immediate danger when he shot her as he stood by her car.

“The tragedy that occurred in Minneapolis was predictable and preventable. 

“Instead of accepting responsibility, Secretary Noem deliberately and immediately began seeding a false narrative, sharing inaccurate information, and blaming the victim for her own death at the hands of a federal agent. Before Renee Good was even identified as the victim of this shooting, Secretary Noem appeared before the media and falsely characterized Ms. Good as a ‘domestic terrorist.’ This highly inappropriate comment, along with offensive comments from the President and Vice President, demonstrate the Trump Administration’s inability to oversee an independent investigation. Furthermore, the Trump administration’s decision to block the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension from conducting an independent investigation is completely unacceptable.

“Following the horrific shooting on Wednesday, Secretary Noem should have ended ICE’s operations in Minnesota to allow local law enforcement officials to restore order and a full investigation of the incident by the FBI and BCA. Instead, she further inflamed the volatile situation by allowing her unprofessional ICE agents to raid Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis, during which students witnessed teachers being assaulted by ICE agents. The appalling conduct at ICE and DHS starts with its leadership. Kristi Noem needs to go.” 

 

###

Congressman Harris Announces $2.55 Million for Newark Water Treatment Plant Replacement Project

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Andy Harris (MD-01)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congressman Andy Harris, M.D. (MD-01) announced $2,550,000 in federal funding secured through the Fiscal Year 2026 Energy and Water Development appropriations bill for Worcester County’s Newark Water Treatment Plant Replacement Project.

The funding allows for the replacement of the existing water treatment plant, upgrading treatment capacity and meeting current water quality standards.

Statement from Congressman Harris:

“Worcester County’s water treatment system must be updated to meet today’s standards. This investment allows the Newark Water Treatment Plant Replacement Project to move forward, replacing an outdated facility and improving drinking water quality for Worcester County residents.”

For media inquiries, please contact Michella Carter at Michella.Carter@mail.house.gov

Congressman Harris Secures $1.95 Million to Modernize Rolling Mill Finished Water Pump Station in North East

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Andy Harris (MD-01)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congressman Andy Harris, M.D. (MD-01) announced $1,950,000 in federal funding secured through the Fiscal Year 2026 Energy and Water Development appropriations bill for the Town of North East in Cecil County to modernize the aging Rolling Mill Finished Water Pump Station.

The funding will allow for the relocation and replacement of the Rolling Mill Finished Water Pump Station, which has reached the end of its useful life. The project will reduce risk to the town’s drinking water system and bring the facility up to modern standards.

Statement from Congressman Harris:
“The Rolling Mill pump station is an aging piece of infrastructure in North East, Maryland, that needs to be addressed. I’m proud to have delivered this investment through the appropriations process to reduce the risk of drinking water service interruptions and strengthen the reliability of the town’s water system.”

For media inquiries, please contact Michella Carter at Michella.Carter@mail.house.gov

Congressman Harris Announces $2 Million for Swan Meadows Water and Sewer Public Infrastructure Project

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Andy Harris (MD-01)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Congressman Andy Harris, M.D. (MD-01) announced $2,000,000 in federal funding for the Swan Meadows Water and Sewer Public Infrastructure Project in Aberdeen. The City of Aberdeen will administer the funding to replace aging and deteriorating water and sewer infrastructure in the Swan Meadows neighborhood.

The project will replace critical water and sewer lines that are more than 80 years old and increasingly prone to failure. These upgrades are necessary to maintain reliable service, reduce the risk of system breakdowns, and protect public health in one of Aberdeen’s underserved communities.

Statement from Congressman Harris:

“Water and sewer infrastructure in Swan Meadows has far exceeded its intended lifespan, and residents have been dealing with ongoing system failures for years. It was my honor to secure this funding to replace those systems and bring the neighborhood’s infrastructure up to modern standards.”

For media inquiries, please contact Michella Carter at Michella.Carter@mail.house.gov

Congressman Harris Delivers $4,785,000 for Slaughter Creek Dredging Project

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Andy Harris (MD-01)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Congressman Andy Harris, M.D. (MD-01) announced $4,785,000 in federal funding for the Slaughter Creek Dredging Project in Slaughter Creek, Maryland, secured through the Energy & Water Development appropriations bill for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Slaughter Creek has faced long-standing navigation challenges, with reduced channel depth limiting access for commercial and recreational vessels. This funding allows long-delayed dredging to move forward and improve navigation.

Statement from Congressman Harris:

“When waterways like Slaughter Creek become difficult to navigate, it directly affects the people and businesses that rely on them. This funding allows long-delayed dredging to move forward and restore reliable access for commercial and recreational vessels.”

For media inquiries, please contact Michella Carter at Michella.Carter@mail.house.gov

Congressman Harris Announces $3.2 Million for North East River Dredging Project in Cecil County

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Andy Harris (MD-01)

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Congressman Andy Harris, M.D. (MD-01) announced $3,200,000 in federal funding for the North East River Dredging Project, provided through the Energy & Water Development appropriations bill to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers – Baltimore District, to support critical dredging efforts along the North East River in Cecil County, Maryland.

The funding will support dredging in the North East River to remove sediment buildup that has restricted navigation and created safety challenges for commercial and recreational vessels in Cecil County. The project will restore navigability and support ongoing maritime and economic activity in the region.

Statement from Congressman Harris: 

“For years, sediment buildup has made it harder and less safe to navigate the North East River. I’m proud to have secured this dredging funding for Cecil County, allowing sediment removal to move forward and restore safe access for boaters, businesses, and the communities that depend on this waterway.”

For media inquiries, please contact Michella Carter at Michella.Carter@mail.house.gov

Congressman DeSaulnier Announces First Town Hall of 2026

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Mark DeSaulnier Representing the 11th District of California

Walnut Creek, CA – Congressman Mark DeSaulnier (CA-10) announced today that he will host his first town hall of the year on Tuesday, January 13th at 12:00 p.m. PT over Zoom to discuss the news of the day, ranging from President Trump’s pursuit of an unconstitutional oil war in Venezuela to rising health care costs and more. He will also take questions from constituents. 

Virtual Town Hall 
Tuesday, January 13th
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. PT
Hosted on Zoom 
Streamed to YouTube

To reserve your spot and receive a Zoom link or to request special accommodations, visit https://desaulnier.house.gov/town-hall-rsvp or call (925) 933-2660. 

This will be Congressman DeSaulnier’s 256th town hall and mobile district office hour since coming to Congress in January 2015.

California Democrats to Trump Administration: Immediately restore childcare funding

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congresswoman Linda Sanchez (38th District of CA)

WASHINGTON – Congresswoman Linda T. Sánchez (D-Calif.) and 41 members of the House California Democratic Caucus today called on the Trump administration to restore illegally canceled congressionally authorized and appropriated childcare and social services funds.

This week, the Department of Health and Human Services froze $10 billion in funding to five states – California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota and New York – claiming fraud without providing any evidence.

“This funding was authorized and appropriated by Congress, and you are required by law to distribute it,” the members wrote. 

“This partisan attack alleges that “Democrat-led states… have been complicit in allowing massive amounts of fraud to occur under their watch” without providing a shred of evidence. We urge you to leave California’s families out of your political attacks, and to reinstate these dollars immediately.”

In addition to Sánchez, the letter was signed by Representatives Pete Aguilar, Nanette Barragán, Ami Bera, Julia Brownley, Salud Carbajal, Judy Chu, Gil Cisneros, Lou Correa, Jim Costa, Mark DeSaulnier, Laura Friedman, John Garamendi, Robert Garcia, Jimmy Gomez, Josh Harder, Jared Huffman, Sara Jacobs, Sydney Kamlager-Dove, Ro Khanna, Mike Levin, Sam Liccardo, Ted Lieu, Zoe Lofgren, Doris Matsui, Dave Min, Kevin Mullin, Jimmy Panetta, Nancy Pelosi, Scott Peters, Luz Rivas, Raul Ruiz, Brad Sherman, Lateefah Simon, Eric Swalwell, Mark Takano, Mike Thompson, Norma Torres, Derek Tran, Juan Vargas, Maxine Waters and George Whitesides (all D-Calif.).

Full text of the letter is available HERE and follows:

January 8, 2026

The Honorable Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
Secretary
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Ave SW
Washington, DC 20201

Alex J. Adams, PharmD, MPH
Assistant Secretary
Administration for Children and Families
330 C Street, S.W. 
Washington, D.C. 20201

Dear Secretary Kennedy and Assistant Secretary Adams, 

As Members of the California Delegation, we write in strong opposition to the illegal cancelation of congressionally authorized and appropriated childcare and social services funds. Between noticed cancelations of Child Care & Development Block Grant (CCDBG) funds, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) funds, and social services grants, the Trump Administration is cutting billions in critical childcare and social services funds to California. 

We urge the Health and Human Services Department to restore these funds immediately and ensure that Californians have the same access to childcare as every other state. Childcare access is a lifeline for working families, and cutting funding will hurt children, parents, and workers across California. In California alone, CCDBG funds serve almost 90,000 children, and TANF serves over 290,000 families. These programs are vital lifelines for Californians, and their funding should not be cut over unsubstantiated allegations of fraud. 

TANF is one of the country’s largest funding sources for childcare, providing over a quarter of childcare funds nationwide. These cuts will decimate California’s childcare industry and harm countless children and families across the state. CalWORKS, California’s TANF program, also provides vital cash assistance to struggling Californians each month to help pay for food, housing, and other necessities. SSBG programs provide Californians with disability services, foster care and child welfare services, and child care. These funds help keep families afloat, and cutting their benefits without cause is nothing more than political theater. 

There are legitimate legal courses of action should fraud exist in California, but none of those legal processes have taken place. For childcare funds, 42 U.S. Code § 9858g (b)(2)(A) and (b)(2)(B) require “reasonable notice to a State and opportunity for a hearing,” neither of which have taken place. 42 U.S. Code § 609 requires an audit be conducted “under chapter 75 of title 31,” and states that “if the State does not prove to the satisfaction of the Secretary that the State did not use the amount in violation… the Secretary shall further reduce the grant payable to the State” – no such audit has taken place in California. This funding was authorized and appropriated by Congress, and you are required by law to distribute it. 

This partisan attack alleges that “Democrat-led states… have been complicit in allowing massive amounts of fraud to occur under their watch” without providing a shred of evidence. We urge you to leave California’s families out of your political attacks, and to reinstate these dollars immediately.

###
 

At Evanston Event, Congressman Krishnamoorthi Announces the Kids Before Cuts Act to End Trump’s Child Care Funding Freeze

Source: United States House of Representatives – Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi (8th District of Illinois)

EVANSTON, IL — Today, Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL) joined leaders from the Infant Welfare Society of Evanston, along with local teachers and parents, to highlight the impact of the Trump administration’s blanket freeze of federal child care and family support funding and to announce the Kids Before Cuts Act, legislation to end the freeze and prevent any administration from unilaterally withholding congressionally approved funding. The event featured remarks from Stephen Vick, Executive Director of the Infant Welfare Society of Evanston; Pamela Staples, Senior Director of the organization; and local parents and educators whose families and classrooms depend on these programs.

Earlier this week, the Trump administration froze $10 billion in funding for programs that support low-income families, including the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, the Child Care and Development Block Grant, and the Social Services Block Grant. In Illinois alone, the freeze threatens access to child care assistance for approximately 100,000 families and more than 150,000 children.

“This freeze is already hurting kids and families here in Illinois,” Congressman Krishnamoorthi said. “When child care disappears, parents can’t work and families fall behind. I know how much programs like these matter because my own family relied on them when my dad lost his job. Cutting off this funding without evidence isn’t oversight. It’s punishing families who are doing their best. That’s why I’m introducing the Kids Before Cuts Act, to make sure no president can pull the rug out from under children and working families.”

Neither the White House nor the Department of Health and Human Services has provided evidence of widespread fraud in Illinois to justify the funding freeze. Illinois maintains established oversight, auditing, and compliance systems to ensure responsible use of federal funds.

The Kids Before Cuts Act would prohibit the withholding of federal funds for TANF, the Child Care and Development Block Grant, and the Social Services Block Grant without explicit authorization from Congress, reaffirming congressional authority over federal spending and protecting children and families from unilateral executive action.